Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 1863 Cover York to Lyon

1863 Cover York to Lyon 3 months 3 weeks ago #154

• jlfarah
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a cover with markings that the references I have, mostly British, do show as receiver marks for France. I am including a picture of the front of the cover. In the back are receiving handstamps for Lyon and Marseilles.

Coverfront8291863.jpg

Coverback.jpg

Any help as to the markings and why Marseilles is a receiver mark ( port of entry???) would be greatly appreciated.
Juan L. Farah
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1863 Cover York to Lyon 3 months 3 weeks ago #160

• cjhitchen
This looks rather odd and I wonder if some of the marks belong. It has gone through Calais as one would expect. There is a TPO entry mark on the front. The tax mark double lined 25 and the T in a triangle do not really make any sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlfarah

1863 Cover York to Lyon 3 months 3 weeks ago #163

• prakelly
Chris is quite right. There is a lot that does not make sense here.
The tax mark "T" in a triangle was introduced on 1 January 1876 for use on foreign mail and January 1884 for inland mail.. This therefore has all the hall marks of an original letter with additional stamps added to it. that do not belong
Peter Kelly.

1863 Cover York to Lyon 3 months 1 week ago #167

• jlfarah
Thak you, I appreciate the answers
Juan
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Contact Information

General Secretary: D J Hogarth, 12 Moyness Park Drive, Blairgowrie PH10 6LX - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
President: C J Hitchen - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Treasurer: C J Hitchen - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Journal Editor: M S Tyler - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Auction Secretary: S R Ellis - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Webmaster: J. Gane - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.