Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: French (?) backstamps on 1894 Benin cover

French (?) backstamps on 1894 Benin cover 1 year 7 months ago #111

Can anyone help?

I acquired this unique (?) Bénin cover many years ago but I have never managed to find out what the backstamps signify or where they are from. :dry:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

French (?) backstamps on 1894 Benin cover 1 year 6 months ago #114

They will be postmen's marks applied when an item could not be delivered. In Paris one number would be the rayon and the other the postman's walk. I do not know about Marseille but probably similar. The 3 is common to both so probably the rayon or zone

French (?) backstamps on 1894 Benin cover 1 year 6 months ago #115

Thank you so much for that. Really appreciate your interest, time and trouble.
SB
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Contact Information

General Secretary: D J Hogarth, 12 Moyness Park Drive, Blairgowrie PH10 6LX - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
President: S R Ellis - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Treasurer: C J Hitchen - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Journal Editor: M S Tyler - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Auction Secretary: S R Ellis - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Webmaster: J. Gane - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.